Thursday 29 October 2009

Howl-oween: Top Dog Pumpkin Carving Patterns

It's Halloween on Saturday, and usually the dog blogs are heaving with advice on keeping dogs safe and far away from the candy and chocolate. Ours is no exception. But I thought it was worth examining the flipside of the spooky celebration...

Carving the pumpkin is one of the most time-consuming enjoyable hands-on bit of the holiday. It's a bit of work - I won't lie - but always has impressive results. Gone are the days when a few wobbly triangles would do the trick; carving patterns have been the way forward for some years, now.

Note to youngsters and the clumsy (like me): please be careful with sharp objects and ask an adult to help!

Here are some of the best printable dog-themed carving patterns I've found by searching online. Enjoy!

Advanced carvers:

Dog Breed Stencils - The Beagle one is ridiculously cute. Some are simpler than others, so if you're an ambitious beginner, do take a look!

Dog in Shadow - Not outstandingly difficult but does require thinning out one area rather than cutting through, which might be tricky for first-timers.

Beginners:

Smiley Dog - A simple design that just needs a small sharp tool to get around the curves.

Grumpy Dog - As above, really - not complex, just a little fiddly in parts. And grumpy. Definitely grumpy.

DLTK Scooby-Doo - Surprisingly straightforward!


Or, of course, you could always make a pumpkin cat...

[Image Source: Randy Son of Robert Flickrstream]

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Aww this is great! Thanks for sharing those links of patterns. That will surely help especially beginners. And feel free to check out more Pumpkin Carving Ideas on my post too. Cheers to you!

Unknown said...

These are so awesome! I love those designs and patterns. I was actually browsing for some great pumpkin carving patterns that I will include to my list of favorite halloween pumpkins. I'd surely pick from here if it's allowed. Cheers to you!

annewalker said...

Thanks for sharing these useful links on dogs Pumpkin Carving Ideas, they're big help!

Unknown said...

Hahaha I enjoyed browsing for these awesome Pumpkin Carving Ideas . I hope it’s fine with you that I could pin them on my Pinterest board. I’m so sure my followers would be happy to see these interesting photos. Keep sharing! :D